- Find learning materials that give you an overview of novel writing. You can find some of the best in our 'resources' section for Writer (Novel).
- Polish your language skills so that you’re competent enough to write novels in whichever language you choose.
- Definitely make sure to have a good writing platform. For some, it’s just a pen and paper. For others, it’s a full suite of writing tools. There are a number of free options you can choose from in the ‘resources’ section, and also some paid ones too
- Read more and write more to expand your perception in writing. Don’t stick to one genre, and remember to start journaling! And start writing short stories!
- Be sure to visit all 'Beginner Resources' here in this handbook.
- By the intermediate stage, you should have a good number of stories written out and polished. It’s helpful to write short stories to get started because the format is the same: beginning, middle, end.
- You should have published or posted at least a few of your stories on one of the writing platforms that are recommended in our handbook. We hope you will share some of your writing on BreakDiving.io too!
- You should be able now to combine some short stories and wrap them up into a whole novel or come up with a brand new idea for a novel.
- Take other classes in novel writing, to improve your writing skills in writing.
- Read MORE, write MORE and MORE, and do even more journaling. Try to expand your vocabulary, language skills, and imagination.
- Be sure to visit all 'Intermediate Resources' here in this handbook.
- By this stage, you should have many more stories written and polished, and you should have at least 3 novels written.
- Start focusing on wrapping your stories into a longer novel of around 400 pages.
- Start to prepare your own first manuscript (for publication) and consider submitting to agents, publishers, etc.
- Work your butt off to formally publish one of your novels
- Be sure to visit all 'Advanced Resources' here in this handbook.