Kelly Chen – I Was Born in the USA but Chinese is my First Language!
Editor’s Note: On all dive certifications, we try to edit the writing as little as possible to preserve authenticity, personality, and writing style. We typically fix spelling errors, but minimally modify grammar and sentence structure (just enough to ensure readability).
1. When and Why Did You Decide to Pursue This Dive At This Level? What was your inspiration and motivation?
I moved back to the U.S. at the end of 5th Grade when I was 11 years old, which was and is another learning process in my life. I get to learn a new language, and again had to adapt to the new environment as a novice.
As for Chinese, while I had to learn it due to my family background, while learning it, I fell in love with Chinese calligraphy, and can’t wait to share how amazing it is with others. Plus having really good Chinese handwriting and the ability to tell everyone else that you speak fluent Chinese is something you can be really proud of! You get to brag about it and enjoy the unbelievable faces and praise you get. It’s a huge accomplishment!
2. How Long Did It Take For You To Accomplish This Dive At This Level From The Day You Decided To Pursue It, And Why Did It Take That Long?
3. What Was The Hardest Part About Achieving This Particular Dive Level?
4. What Was The Easiest Part About Achieving This Particular Dive Level?
5. What Is Your Advice For Someone Who Is Pursuing This Dive And Level?
6. What Are Some Of The Best Resources You Recommend to Those Pursuing This Dive At This Level, And Why Do You Recommend Them? Please Include Relevant Weblinks, If Applicable.
Resource 1: Break Diving's Chinese Fluency Project - Come and practice with others!
Resource 2: Hack Chinese - Practice vocab with this great website.
7. Tell Us A Story Of One Of Your Adventures While Pursuing This Dive (At This Level).
8. What Evidence Did You Submit to Prove You Met the Requirements for This Dive and Level?
9. Will You Be Pursuing The Next Level For This Dive? If Yes, Why? If Not, Why Not?
10. What is the Break Diver's Creed?
And having made this post, and provided adequate evidence to the dive committee, Kelly Chen is now hereby certified by Break Diving, Inc. as: Linguist - Chinese (Mandarin) - Level 1. Congratulations ! Thank you for being an inspiration to others!
Certificate number: 17
The author above wrote this WYSEguidance post as one of the certification requirements to become certified by Break Diving, Inc. for a dive completed. Would you also like to find greater success, happiness, and friendship, and make genuine supportive connections with others around the world pursuing your same dreams? Come join us at Break Diving and soon your story will be the next one you read about on this site!Read More Stories on the WYSEguidance Homepage