Oh How It Feels To Fall From The Sky!
Editor’s Note: On all dive certifications, we try to edit the writing as little as possible to preserve authenticity, personality, and writing style. We typically fix spelling errors, but minimally modify grammar and sentence structure (just enough to ensure readability).
1. When and Why Did You Decide to Pursue This Dive At This Level? What was your inspiration and motivation?
2. How Long Did It Take For You To Accomplish This Dive At This Level From The Day You Decided To Pursue It, And Why Did It Take That Long?
Day 1: Two Tandems
Day 2: Ground School
Day 3: Solo (with instructor) Jumps 1, 2, & 3
3. What Was The Hardest Part About Achieving This Particular Dive Level?
2. The cost.
3. The weather.
So, make no mistake about it---at first, jumping out of an airplane is terrifying. But soon, the terror gives way to absolute blissful fun! But it doesn't happen immediately.
Next, it's expensive. Each tandem is about $200. And each training jump about $150. Just to get to jump 5 costs about $750. Maybe more, with ground school.
Finally, the weather. Even if you're in Florida, it rains a lot, and the winds get high. So it's not just the winter places that shut down at times. But yeah, I definitely stopped in NY because October came alone, and it starts getting cold. At 14,000 feet, if the temperature is chilly on the ground, it's freezing up top. Even in Florida, in winter, at 14,000 feet, it is really really cold.
4. What Was The Easiest Part About Achieving This Particular Dive Level?
5. What Is Your Advice For Someone Who Is Pursuing This Dive And Level?
Now, it took me a while to get to that point, and yes, I still get butterflies (which is good, for safety reasons, so I don't get cocky and reckless), but... you absolutely will get to the same point of feeling more adventurous and less scared. If you find the idea of skydiving titillating, and the rush from jumping exhilarating... then you have no reason to stop. Not fear. Not money. Not weather. All three of those things can easily be overcome. Just. Keep. Jumping.
6. What Are Some Of The Best Resources You Recommend to Those Pursuing This Dive At This Level, And Why Do You Recommend Them? Please Include Relevant Weblinks, If Applicable.
Resource 1: Chuting Star - You won't likely be buying any gear until after you get your license, but looking at the gear may inspire you to push on!
Resource 2: Skydive Spaceland - Florida - This is where I ultimately got my license in Florida. It's one of the best teaching dropzones in the world.
Resource 3: Monroe's Skydiving Videos - I post skydiving videos on my channel. You can see all of my training jumps there!
Resource 4: Skydive The Ranch - New York - This is where I did my first 2 tandems many years ago.
7. Tell Us A Story Of One Of Your Adventures While Pursuing This Dive (At This Level).
About 18 years later, after I went the first time in 2012, I new then that I wanted to keep going. But for the above reasons, I stopped.
Here's my advice: don't stop. I am SO proud of myself that I reached jump 5, and even more proud of myself that I returned to the sport last year (2021) to continue the pursuit.
KEEP GOING! I know you will be so proud of yourself once you earn your A license, just like me!
8. What Evidence Did You Submit to Prove You Met the Requirements for This Dive and Level?
9. Will You Be Pursuing The Next Level For This Dive? If Yes, Why? If Not, Why Not?
10. What is the Break Diver's Creed?
And having made this post, and provided adequate evidence to the dive committee, Monroe Mann is now hereby certified by Break Diving, Inc. as: Adventurer - Sky Diver - Level 2. Congratulations ! Thank you for being an inspiration to others!
Certificate number: 147
The author above wrote this WYSEguidance post as one of the certification requirements to become certified by Break Diving, Inc. for a dive completed. Would you also like to find greater success, happiness, and friendship, and make genuine supportive connections with others around the world pursuing your same dreams? Come join us at Break Diving and soon your story will be the next one you read about on this site!Read More Stories on the WYSEguidance Homepage