Editor’s Note: On all dive certifications, we try to edit the writing as little as possible to preserve authenticity, personality, and writing style. We typically fix spelling errors, but minimally modify grammar and sentence structure (just enough to ensure readability).
1. When and Why Did You Decide to Pursue This Dive At This Level? What was your inspiration and motivation?
I started learning website development again, as it was a way to earn an income from anywhere in the world while travelling full time! The thought of that truly excited me!
I was motivated to learn React due to the high demand for React developers and the availability of remote React developer positions. In late 2017, an opportunity to apply for a Grow with Google Scholarship for the Udacity Frontend Nanodegree was presented to me. I started the program in early 2018 and React was part of the curriculum!
2. How Long Did It Take For You To Accomplish This Dive At This Level From The Day You Decided To Pursue It, And Why Did It Take That Long?
It took me this long as I started traveling in early 2018 and had to work my studies in around my travels. Focusing on learning while moving from country to country (and exploring!) is a tough task in and of itself, but I did it!
3. What Was The Hardest Part About Achieving This Particular Dive Level?
4. What Was The Easiest Part About Achieving This Particular Dive Level?
Once you get the basics down, the sky’s the limit!
5. What Is Your Advice For Someone Who Is Pursuing This Dive And Level?
- Create a plan. Figure out what the ‘basics’ are and then start learning them. Having a target to work towards will make it easier for you to know when you’ve reached your goal.
- Find support! Find a community (like BreakDiving.io) or mentor that you can help guide you and can help answer your questions. Learning something new can be tough and having support can give you the push you need to keep trying.
6. What Are Some Of The Best Resources You Recommend to Those Pursuing This Dive At This Level, And Why Do You Recommend Them? Please Include Relevant Weblinks, If Applicable.
React Documentation. The React documentation has a great tutorial to teach you how to use React – https://reactjs.org/tutorial/tutorial.htm
The Beginner’s Guide to React. Learn from one of the best React developers in the industry, Kent C. Dodds. This course teaches you the basics and gives you a solid foundation to creating React apps the right way. https://egghead.io/courses/the-beginner-s-guide-to-react
Free Code Camp. Free Code Camp – Free Code Camp has an introductory section about React. It is not very in depth, so it must be supplemented with other material. https://www.freecodecamp.org/
Resource 1: Break Diving's H.A.C.K.ers Group - Many members work with React and can help you.
Resource 2: React Docs - Read these
Resource 3: Beginner's Guide - Learn the basics.
Resource 4: Free Code Camp - Learn the very very basics.
7. Tell Us A Story Of One Of Your Adventures While Pursuing This Dive (At This Level).
I learned a lot, but I really recommend digging deep and spending your time to learn the material, slowly and methodically.
I remember running into one of the difficult challenges that came with one of the projects that I was required to complete — using information from two APIs to display information and make things work.
I had to read through the documentation of the two APIs and ended up asking for guidance to complete the project.
8. What Evidence Did You Submit to Prove You Met the Requirements for This Dive and Level?
You can also view the Robofriends React App that I created here: https://argyrisileana.com/robofriends/
9. Will You Be Pursuing The Next Level For This Dive? If Yes, Why? If Not, Why Not?
10. What is the Break Diver's Creed?
And having made this post, and provided adequate evidence to the dive committee, Ileana Argyris is now hereby certified by Break Diving, Inc. as: Coder - React - Level 1. Congratulations ! Thank you for being an inspiration to others!
Certificate number: 58
The author above wrote this WYSEguidance post as one of the certification requirements to become certified by Break Diving, Inc. for a dive completed. Would you also like to find greater success, happiness, and friendship, and make genuine supportive connections with others around the world pursuing your same dreams? Come join us at Break Diving and soon your story will be the next one you read about on this site!Read More Stories on the WYSEguidance Homepage